Caring for your hair will pay dividends well into your adult years and can even prevent hair from thinning or graying prematurely. Using a serum can make a huge difference to the vitality of your hair and organic ingredients will prevent damage from harsh chemicals contained in synthetic serums.
What is Hair Serum?
Hair serum is a special formula of blended fluids normally used by individuals with frizzy or curly hair to help tame fly-away hair. It is also used to protect the hair shaft from damage when using styling utensils like flat irons and hair dryers.
Hair serums work by coating the hair shaft and smoothing the hair follicles to give the appearance of a sleek mane of hair with a polished, glossy look. Regular use of hair serum on thin or dry hair will reduce tangles, control dry or fly-away strands, and soften the hair.
Hair serum is typically used on the brittle ends of hair but sometimes it can also be used at the roots of the hair to feed and nourish the scalp. It works well on long, straight hair but is just as effective on short curly hair, giving a bounce to curls and spirals. Serum should be applied sparingly to thin hair as too much oil will weigh the hair down, making it look greasy and even thinner.
What Makes a Hair Product Organic?
Commercial hair serum products contain ceramides and amino acids in combination with silicone derived emollients that coat the hair strands in a film of fluid. Continual use of silicone-based serums will result in product build-up that may weaken the hair and cause it to break. Most commercial hair care products contain a huge amount of chemicals including harmful sulfates and parabens.
Organic hair products contain mostly agrarian ingredients. The more natural ingredients a hair product has the better it is for your hair. Pure organic products contain no parabens, sulfates, or other harmful substances and all the ingredients come from naturally, organically farmed ingredients that will be stated on the ingredients list.
Organic best ingrown hair serum will stimulate the hair follicles and strengthen the texture of your hair shaft with natural oils like Argan or coconut oils that will bring your dull hair back to life, leaving your scalp feeling nourished and refreshed. The longer you use it the healthier and thicker your hair will become.
Organic serum can be used as a styling product or as a finish to give gloss and shine to hair. It can be applied to the ends of dry hair or after a shampoo to be absorbed by wet, towel dried hair. As a styling product it will protect the hair from heat and as a finishing product it will smooth down the hair follicles making the hair look sleek and shiny.
Are Organic Hair Products Better for Your Hair?
The best quality organic hair products contain no chemicals and harmful additives. Commercial hair products contain harsh chemicals, harmful surfactants, and drying alcohols that strip the hair of its natural oils and color. Many commercial serums that are intended to help protect the hair from heat while styling release toxic formaldehyde when heated. Using organic ingredients will help keep your hair healthy and manageable without the use of harmful ingredients.
Ingredients to Avoid in Hair Products
When reading the labels of commercial hair products, you will most likely come across the names of the following commonly used chemicals:
– Sulfates – sulfates are by far the most used ingredient in all commercial hair care products. Even when it claims to be ‘sulfate-free’ it is typically only free from one of the 3 sulfate compounds commonly used in hair products: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Sulfate is mostly used in shampoos and is the ingredient that gives it a rich lather. Sulfates can irritate the scalp, dry out the hair, cause frizziness, weaken the hair shaft, and damaged colored hair.
- Parabens – these chemicals are highly toxic endocrine disruptors that have a negative effect on hormones.
- Synthetic fragrances – ingredients that are listed as fragrances are often a blend of scented chemicals known as diethyl phthalate. These artificial fragrances are known to be highly toxic to the immune system.
- Polyethylene glycol – this toxic ingredient is derived from organic alcohol that has a negative effect on the nervous system.
Because hair care products are considered by the FDA as cosmetic, there are no tests required to guarantee the safety of the ingredients used. Even when ingredients are found to be dangerous and harmful to humans, the FDA is not authorized to recall the products and at most may request the removal of the ingredient. It is therefore up to each individual person to decide for themselves whether to expose themselves to certain toxic ingredients used in most commercial hair care products, or to opt for natural, organic ingredients.
Natural Ingredients in Organic Hair Products
Organic, non-chemical hair products contain essential oils, natural plant extracts, acids derived from fruits, nut butters, and many other healthy ingredients. Look out for the following ingredients in organic hair care products, including hair serum:
- Argan Oil – Used for thousands of years as a natural hair treatment it is extremely beneficial for the health of the scalp and hair. Used in a serum it has a number of benefits such as moisturizing the scalp, treating dry scalp conditions, and preventing dandruff.
- Shea Butter -Shea butter is a great hair moisturizer that contains essential fatty acids and forms a protective seal that protects the hair from damage.
- Fruit Extracts – the alpha hydroxyl acids contained in fruits are rich in antioxidants that dissolves dead skin cells. It provides the scalp with many vitamins and minerals for shiny, glossy hair.